RAC Advanced Course begins soon!
The next RAC Advanced Courses start on Sunday, September 10 and Monday, September 11 with 10 weekly sessions.
You need to be a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member (present or future) to register for this course. See below for information.
Radio Amateurs of Canada is once again offering an online Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio Course so that individuals can upgrade their qualifications.
With your Advanced Certificate, you can run higher power, operate a remotely-controlled station, obtain operating privileges when travelling overseas, set up repeaters, be the trustee for club stations and even become an Accredited Examiner (AE) if you also have the Morse code qualification.
The course will be 10 sessions in length and each session will be two hours long.
In order to offer maximum flexibility, we will be running two Advanced courses so students will be able to choose one of the following two options:
- Sunday afternoons from 3 pm to 5 pm EDT (12 pm to 2 pm PDT) starting on Sunday, September 10 and ending on Sunday, December 3.
- Monday evenings from 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm EDT (5:30 pm to 7:30 pm PDT) starting on Monday, September 11 and ending on Monday, December 4.
Note: There will be no classes on the following dates:
- Sunday, October 9 and Monday, October 10 for Thanksgiving weekend
- Sunday, October 28 and Monday, October 29 for the CQ WW SSB Contest
- Sunday, November 26 and Monday, November 27 for the CQ WW CW Contest
The course instructor is Dave Goodwin, VE3KG (formerly VE9CB). Dave has been an Amateur since 1975, is an active HF Contester and DXer.
Dave has also volunteered his time at the national level and has served as the RAC President and as the RAC Director for the Atlantic Region. He is currently serving as the RAC Regulatory Affairs Officer.
From 2015 to 2020, Dave taught the Basic and Advanced certification courses with the Fredericton (NB) Amateur Radio Club. He is an Accredited Examiner (AE) for ISED and gives many Basic, Advanced and Morse code exams over the web.
Course material pertaining to all topics covered in the course syllabus will be provided to all registered students.
The RAC Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio course is being offered at no charge to RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members – both current and future as described below.
Participants in the course will need to meet all of the following requirements:
- Participants must already have the Canadian Basic Amateur Radio Qualification and a Canadian call sign.
- Participants must already be a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member or become one by joining RAC at the Maple Leaf Operator level or upgrading to that level.
- Participants must have a copy of the Canadian Amateur Radio Advanced Qualification Study Guide provided by Coax Publications. For more information please visit the RAC Study Guides webpage.
- Participants must have a computer and Internet connection capable of using the Zoom conference platform. You do not need your own account on Zoom to take part in this course.
- Participants must have a working email address to receive course materials and links to the sessions.
There is room on the conference server for 250 participants in each session. Auditors are welcome to attend on a space-available basis, provided they are RAC Maple Leaf Operator members. You can sign up by following the instructions on the registration page.
Other Amateur Radio Courses:
Amateur Radio Basic and Advanced Qualification courses are also now being provided both online and in person by Canadian Amateur Radio Clubs and organizations. Please visit the Amateur Radio Courses webpage for more information at the link provided below.